Lidl Rugby Brunch Club Guinness cake
Preparation time: 30 mins
This smooth, moist, and deliciously dense Guinness cake is the perfect accompaniment to those early morning kick-offs. The cocoa and sugar balance the stout’s bitter taste to create a sweet, rich, chocolatey treat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°F fan/gas mark 4. Lightly butter a 23cm cake tin.
- Cut the butter and chocolate into small cubes and place in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water until it melts together.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool to room temperature, then stir in the Guinness!
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa and baking powder until combined.
- In a third bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy (it should take around 2-3 minutes) - then beat in half the Guinness-chocolate mixture until combined.
- Add half the flour-cocoa to this mixture, then combine again. Finally, beat in the remaining mixtures.
- Pour the cake mix into your tin and bake for approx 40 minutes. (When a toothpick comes out of the centre clean, your cake is ready).
- While the cake is baking, beat the double cream into the cream cheese, and begin to add your icing sugar bit by bit - you want the icing to sit on the cake like the head of a pint.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, leave to cool for around 10-20 minutes in the tin, then pop it onto a wire rack, ice, and serve. Try adding some chocolate curls to the top for an extra touch. Winner.