Created by chef Gaz Oakley, this mushroom and sage stuffing recipe is a great vegan alternative side dish to roasts and special lunches.
1. Preheat your oven to 180ºC/160º fan/gas mark 4. Line a medium-sized baking dish or loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Add the leek, garlic and mushrooms to a blender and blitz until everything is finely chopped.
3. Place a large non-stick saucepan pan on a medium heat. Add the oil and when the pan is hot, add the leek, garlic and mushrooms plus the herbs, spices and seasoning. Sauté the mix for 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. When the leek and mushrooms have sweated down, add the sweet potato. Sauté the mix for a few more minutes before adding all the remaining ingredients and stir until all the ingredients are well combined. Turn the heat off, then lightly mash the mix, breaking down any large chunks of sweet potato or chickpeas.
5. Spoon the mixture into your lined baking dish and compact it in. Alternatively you can roll the stuffing mixture into two stuffing sausages, using baking paper and foil.
6. Place the stuffing onto a baking tray and bake for 35 minutes.
7. Once cooked, allow the stuffing to cool before removing the wrapping. Serve with your roast.