Sweet potato fish cakes with roasted tomato salsa
This fish cake recipe is made using sweet potatoes, adding a new twist to a favourite dish. For extra punch, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika to the potato when mashing, and a little chopped chilli to the salsa.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10–15 minutes. Meanwhile, poach the cod fillets in a shallow pan of simmering water for 7–10 minutes, until cooked through and flaky.
- Once cooked, drain the potatoes and return them to the pan to steam dry for 5 minutes. Mix in the butter, coriander and seasoning, mashing with a fork until light and fluffy.
- Once the cod has cooked through, remove from the pan and allow to cool a little, then flake into the mash and mix until evenly distributed.
- With floured hands, shape the fish cake mixture into 8 even-sized patties and set aside.
- Pour the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into three separate dishes and dip the fish cakes in each, first coating in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the coated fishcakes on a tray and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C/gas mark 6.
8. While the fishcakes are resting, make the tomato salsa. Place the tomatoes in a small baking dish and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season well, then roast for 15 –20 minutes.
- Once cooked, roughly chop the tomatoes (leaving the oven on) and add to a serving bowl, pouring over any leftover juices from the baking dish. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Grease a baking tray generously with the oil and place the fishcakes on top. Brush over the olive oil until generously coated, then bake in the oven for 25 –30 minutes, until cooked through.
- To serve, arrange the cooked fishcakes on a plate alongside the salsa, salad and lemon wedges. Garnish with coriander and serve.