For the pastry
|50 g g||blanched hazelnuts blanched hazelnuts|
|150 g g||flour flour|
|plus extra for dusting|
|160 g g||butter butter|
|chilled and cubed|
|1||egg yolks egg yolk|
For the filling
|3||red onions red onion|
|70 g g||butter butter|
|1.5 tbsp tbsp||balsamic vinegar balsamic vinegar|
|1.5 tbsp tbsp||soft brown sugar soft brown sugar|
|8||fresh thyme fresh thyme|
|leaves picked, plus 3 extra to garnish|
|250 g g||red grapes red grape|
|150 g g||brie brie|
|cut into 2 cm chunks|
Brie and grape galette
Preparation time: 0:20 min
The classic flavour combination of brie and grape really comes into its own in this deliciously cheesy galette. If you’re pushed for time, make the pastry and filling in advance for easy prep when you’re ready to bake. Enjoy with a glass of Mosel Riesling for a great pairing.
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160ºC fan/ gas mark 4. Tip the hazelnuts onto an oven tray and roast for 6-8 minutes until golden.
2. Once cool, blitz the hazelnuts to fine crumbs in a food processor. Add the flour and butter and pulse until combined yet chunky, then keep the food processor running and gradually pour in 100ml chilled water until it comes together to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
3. Roll out the chilled dough across a large piece of baking parchment until it forms a 30cm round. Return to the fridge for 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Gently fry the onions in the butter for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent. Add the vinegar, sugar and thyme and cook for a further 10 minutes until soft and caramelised. Season to taste and leave to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160ºC fan/ gas mark 4. Leaving a 4cm border, spread the onion mix over the dough and top with the grapes. Fold over the dough border, creating a pattern if you like, then brush with egg yolk and bake for 15 minutes.
6. After this time, arrange the brie over the galette and top with the extra thyme. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden, then serve.