|12||Pork loin fillets pork loin|
|100 ml ml||white wine white wine|
|500 ml ml||whole milk whole milk|
|plus extra if required|
|3||fresh thyme fresh thyme|
|10 g g||cornflour cornflour|
|25 g g||butter butter|
|2 tsp tsp||wholegrain mustard wholegrain mustard|
|1 bunches bunch||chives chive|
|olive oil olive oil|
|2 tbsp tbsp||honey honey|
|2 tbsp tbsp||black treacle black treacle|
|or malt extract|
|1||lemon juice lemon juice|
|1 bunches bunch||spring greens spring greens|
Milk-poached pork medallions
This pork medallion recipe makes a lighter alternative to Sunday lunch, or would work well as a Christmas Eve meal. The milk sauce is creamy without being too rich, while the glaze adds sticky sweetness to the pork.
- Place a wide, deep pan over a medium-low heat and add a dash of oil. Lightly fry the shallot and garlic until soft and translucent, then add the wine and increase the heat.
- Allow the wine to reduce until almost fully evaporated, then add the milk, thyme and sage and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the pork to the milk, adding a dash more milk if required to ensure the medallions are full covered. Cover the pan with a lid and gently heat the milk over a low heat for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. Combine the honey and treacle together in a small pan and heat until runny, taking care not to let it burn. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice and set to one side.
- Remove the pork from the milk and place in a deep baking tray. Pour a little of the milk into the tray, covering it with foil, and tip the rest into a saucepan for the sauce.
- Mix the corn flour with the butter and whisk it into the milk, cooking over a medium heat until the sauce thickens to a desired consistency. Strain into a clean pan or jug and whisk in the mustard and chopped chives.
- Steam or boil the spring greens for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high.
- Brush the top of the pork medallions with the glaze and place under the grill until the glaze begins to bubble - this should only take a few seconds. Repeat, placing the medallions under the grill for a few seconds before removing.
- To serve, spoon some of the sauce onto each plate and top with a portion of greens and 3 medallions.