|40 g g||walnuts walnut||
|40 g g||blanched hazelnuts blanched hazelnuts||
|1 packs pack||ready rolled shortcrust pastry ready rolled shortcrust pastry||
|90 g g||Parma ham Parma ham||
|175 g g||mature cheddar mature cheddar||
|300 ml ml||double cream double cream||
|100||whole milk whole milk||
|black pepper black pepper||
Parma ham and cheddar tart
Billy and Jack's Parma ham and cheddar tart has a toasted nut pastry base for extra texture and flavour. The boys say: 'This impressive but easy to make starter is perfect for any festive occasion. Be warned: it's very moreish so don't count on having left!'. They recommend serving this tart with a pear, mixed leaf and walnut salad.
- Preheat the oven to180ºC/160ºC fan/gas mark 4.
- Toast the nuts in a pan and remove the skin from the hazelnuts, then pulse the nuts to a crumb in a food processor (or chop by hand, if you prefer).
- Unroll the pastry and sprinkle the nuts evenly over the top. Press down with your hands, then use a rolling pin to flatten them in further, folding the pastry over and rolling again.
- Line the tart tin with the pastry, pushing into the corners, and fill with baking paper and baking beans or rice. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove the beans and bake for a further 20 minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- While the pastry is cooking, prepare the filling. Slice the onions and cook slowly in a frying pan with a little oil until soft.
- Spread the Parma ham on a baking sheet and put in the oven for around 15 minutes until crisp. Leave to drain on some kitchen towel and break into small bits.
- Combine the cream and milk in a large bowl, then add the eggs, season and whisk.
- To build the tart, spread the onions on the pastry, followed by the cheese and ham. Pour over the cream mix and bake for 35 minutes until brown on top and just set. Leave to cool a little before serving.