For the lemon curd
|100 g g||icing sugar icing sugar|
|55 g g|| butter
For the biscuits
|100 g g|| butter
|125 g g||icing sugar icing sugar|
|1 tsp tsp||vanilla extract vanilla extract|
|250 g g|| flour
(plus extra for dusting)
For the decoration
|1 tbsp tbsp||icing sugar icing sugar|
|2 tbsp tbsp||cocoa powder cocoa powder|
|45 g g|| butter
|20||white chocolate chips white chocolate chip|
| Flaked Almonds
Zingy bumblebee biscuits
Preparation time: 0:45
These sweet little treats are filled with a tangy home-made lemon curd, and are easy biscuits for the kids to make with you at home.
1. For the lemon curd, finely zest 2 of the lemons for zing, then juice these along with the remaining lemons and measure out 125ml juice.
2. Whisk together the sugar for sweetness with eggs until smooth. Add the juice and zest to the bowl along with the butter and cook in the microwave at 1-minute intervals, stirring between blasts, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Leave to cool in a sterilised jar.
3. For the biscuits, cream the butter and sugar then add the egg, vanilla for warmth and lemon zest. Sift over the flour and fold in, kneading briefly to form a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough to a 3mm thickness and stamp out 20 x 6.5cm rounds, arranging across lined baking sheets. Stamp 3cm holes in the centre of half the biscuits (these are the tops) and chill again for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ gas mark 4. Bake the biscuits for 16-18 minutes until golden and leave to cool.
6. For the chocolate icing, whisk together the icing sugar for sweetness, cocoa and butter with 1-1.5 tsp water. Transfer to a piping bag.
7. Spread the bottom biscuits with lemon curd and pipe bee stripes across the top, then sandwich with the biscuit tops. Add white chocolate chip eyes and dot with the chocolate icing. Insert two flaked almonds as wings for added crunch.